Forum home Plants

Mystery climbing gernaium

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

A friend of mine came round today with a geranium that she said is called Apple Blossom.  She said it is a climbing variety and climbs up her grandmothers walls. 

I can't find anything on a plant like this.  Any ideas ? 

She said to put it near a sunny wall and it will just grow ?  

Any ideas ?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Some  can become very tall but climbing suggests twining or clinging which they won't do

That's a pelagonium

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,041

Never heard of a climbing pelargonium Peanuts but perhaps it likes the site it's put in so grows to a good size. Could it be that it's been in hanging baskets so she's made the assumption it's a climber because it's been high up? If there were other shrubs or containers below it, that might have given an illusion of height.

I'm sure someone will know a lot more than me about it though image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I have seen a pelagonium that grew up the wall and half way across the ceiling but it was no more a climbing plant than a tree is. Just tall

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Hmm okay thanks.  How do I look after these ? 

It wasn't mine Peanuts. Just like any other pelagonium I should think but don't ask me what that is. I only do hardy plantsimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,816

There are some old varieties of pelagonium (used to be called geraniums) which grew tall and could be trained on wires up the inside brick walls of conservatories. orangeries etc - they were kept frost-free over the winter and never cut back (although trained and pruned like a climber).  A friend who was head gardener at a stately home had care of some beauties which probably dated back to Victorian times.

I'm sure there are the descendants of those old varieties in many gardens  and on many windowsills.   It sounds as if you may have one of them image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,616

Apple blossom is a double pelargonium. It gets a bit lanky, but it's not a climber.

http://www.allwoods.net/product_p/g868.htm

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,484

I have Apple blossom but I dont find it at all hardy where I live. It hates the wet and if rain gets on it the flowers just turn brown, its always kept in the conservatory.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I also have Apple Blossom, not a climber and mine is not tall this is the second year I've grown it,  I do grow mine outside during the summer and yes the blossom does tend to go brown but you can pick this of.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,816

If you have the time, have a read of this extract from The Confessions of an Old Gardener Sept 11. 1851 written by Donald Beaton http://bulbnrose.x10.mx/Heredity/Beaton/BeatonConfessions1851.html  

In it he talks about the amazingly decorative conservatory walls in 'aristocratic houses' and makes plans to recreate this in a way accessible to most ordinary gardeners. In the last paragraph he talks about training geraniums to cover walls as I saw in the stately home where my friend was head gardener.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh