Runner Beans Being Eaten

This happened last year. I have put them in a different place this year and the same happens.

They are being eaten overnight with just the stems remaining.

I have tried plastic cloches/sharp sand/grit/egg shells &, pellets.

Are these SAS snails ?

Would growing under plastic sheeting help??

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,709

Thats gardening Andrew, wont matter what you do, the slugs will have them.

Try digging down and placing pots of pellets leaving an inch proud, then put a slate or stone over so nothing else can get to them.

Plastic wont help. You could try the boiled garlic spray but it didnt work on my hostas.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Try nematodes Andrew, they work, stopped them eating mine.

• Try digging down and placing pots of pellets leaving an inch proud, then put a slate or stone over so nothing else can get to them.

Not sure what you mean. I have not sown the bean directly. It was put in the ground as a young plant.

Could you post a photo or drawing of your method?

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi, i use Sas spray from OGC directly on the plants and the ground- needs to be re-applied after rain. But nothing is a substitute for really happy plants, keep them sheltered, even the most basic shelter helps. Ive found this helps and once they are about 12ins high, the slugs dont seem to have much effect. Good luck!
  • Well the latest is, that I decided to put a small plastic membrane over the stem followed with sharp sand & egg shells and, up to now fingers crossed the bean (yes bean) I have others to pop in as soon as they can cope is surviving well and climbing like a mountaineer.  

• allium2allium2 Posts: 413

Definitely slugs. They ate my first batch of Runner Beans, now on my second batch which seem to be okay with a few slug pellets to protect them. 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Try this andrew, plastic drinks bottle, copper tape. Cut the bottles into 2 inch circles and place copper tape around the bottle and then place it over the emerging beans. Stops em dead in their tracks and works for brassica's as well. As soon as the beans get to about a foot you can remove them or leave them in place as insurance.