Forum home Plants

Any I'Dea

Percy-GrowerPercy-Grower Posts: 251

Tried another post with these but nobody replied image

Can anyone tell me what these are please..

What i really need is someone to walk round my garden and tell me what everything is..image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,816

Think the first one is a Pyramidal Orchid - a rare and wonderful thing and if you've got one of those in your garden you're a very fortunate Percy image

http://www.plantlife.org.uk/wild_plants/plant_species/pyramidal_orchid

Second is one of the currants - it should've flowered by now - any fruits to be seen?

Third is one of the hardy geraniums - there are several blue ones - it's not Rozanne, that has a white eye.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Could it be geranium Himalayense? I have that and it looks very similar.

I'm getting better, I knew it was a geranium as soon as I saw it image

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Wow Percy how have you managed to grow that orchid up here?  It's lovely.

• Percy-GrowerPercy-Grower Posts: 251

Ah ha currant you say, it all makes sense now, yes it has a few little green fruits that look like tiny gooseberry's, it's north facing so guessing that's why it doesn't fruit..

A geranium is good for me..

A Pyramid Orchid how exciting, it comes up every year, is there anyway we can propagate it?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,484

Does the currant flower on last years wood? If so Percy may have pruned it to late in the season, or even this Spring. my ribes needs to be pruned straight after flowering.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I missed the Orchid.....you are so lucky and I am not at all jealous image I really do need an outdoor orchid......off for a search around.

Re the orchid - just leave it as it is - do not use any fertiliser or sprays around it - 

Report it to your local Wildlife Trust http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/  they keep records of such things image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,616

I thought the orchid looked more like the common spotted one. Dactylorhiza fuchsii. ?

Whatever you've got , Percy, I would let it do its own thing. Seed is microscopic and difficult to germinate, needs sterile conditions and a special fungus that assocoates with the roots. Digging it up usually kills them. If its happy where it is I'd leave it there.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

• Percy-GrowerPercy-Grower Posts: 251

Lyn we haven't pruned it at all...

Around four years ago we had bad storm here and a lot of trees were brought down, the council cut them into shall we say manageable sizes image my OH being the way she is collected these cut tree trunks from various locations ie the local golf course and the local park, and we built a roundish bed with them and filled it with soil, compost, gravel and collected wood chippings from the area's were the trees were cut up and put that in too, we planted it up, and the following year this plant appeared, i took it the OH planted it, she assumed i planted it, i asked her what it was she said how should she know as i was the one that planted it, we left it at that and forgot about it, until this spring, all we do is water the bed its in, so basically it is surviving on neglect, we do have to thin out the bed a lot as there is a lot of aggressive ground cover plants in there, so there you have the history of how it came to be there, my best guess is it came with the wood chippings...