Forum home Wildlife gardening

How many frogs?

I don't usually get frogs in my garden, but whenever I've gone out in the evening or night over the last few months, there's a frog. It's usually in one corner of the garden, though occasionally I see it in another spot. If I disturb things in the corner where I assume it lives, I can hear it jump around. I've never seen or heard more than one frog.

So, is this likely to be the same frog or am I only just spotting one at a time? I'm sure it's the same one because it's always the same size and usually lurking in the same corner of the garden, but I would have expected garden frogs to live in groups.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

No, they don't live in groups but lurk in damp spots so several may be found in the same area.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,952

I usually have a frog set up home in the greenhouse for the summer.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • TomskTomsk Posts: 204

Am I likely to get more frogs, or is this a one-off residence from a frog who's somehow managed to find my garden?

If they help with snails and slugs, I wouldn't mind more of them.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,861

We've always had a few frogs visit our garden from next door who have a pond.  We made a small wildlife pond this spring and now we have several frogs in residence and look forward to many more image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh