Forum home Plants

Help with identity of this shrub/climber.

nanamaznanamaz Posts: 19

Hello everyone happy to be part of this group. Could do with some help to identify this shrub/climbmer that's started growing at an angle  just under my front window . I've taken 2 pic's so hope these help.

The trellis was there for support of the very tall sunflowers i grew last year.image

• nanamaznanamaz Posts: 19

Are the photo's good enough for identity?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,138

Can you take one from further back so we see the whole thing?

I don't recognise it at all at the moment - it looks as it's been there quite some time.  It must've been there last year? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Probably has grown there through winter. will take another one or 2.

Lots of shoots off the main stem but only seems to be leaves on them can't see any buds. The white flower below is anther plant.

close up of the leaves.

Leaves look like apple tree but the growth habit is all wrong.

Someone else will be along soon with a better idea I'm sure .............. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850

That central greyish stem is at least a year old. It probably hid behing the sunflowers last yearimage

There are elements of Salix caprea there. but not convinced

Could someone have stuck a stick of willow in the soil last year to support some sunflowers???

Thanks nutcutlet and buddyboy.  not sure how deep underground it is yet. the stem has grown that way towards the trellis. was away at christmas in oz awaiting my granson's arrival his photo is my avatar. then it's been dark and cold. so it's sneaked up on me over winter. must admit i have been waiting to see if it would produce buds so it would be easier to identify.  The thing i'm worried about if it is a climber is it going to be too big for my small front garden or too invasive. image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850

I don't think it's a climber. I think it's something with long growth. I don't see any tendency to twine and no sign of a tendril