Forum home Talkback

What is this plant

BigSumoBigSumo Posts: 2

The leaves are hairy and it looks like a single large flower at the top, any ideas?

• BigSumoBigSumo Posts: 2

The plant is now almost 6ft tall. The leaves are in the region of 14 inches in length and what may be the flower is still stretching!!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,159

Yellow mullein,a native wild flower.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

It's a food plant for mullein moth caterpillars.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

That's enormous.  Never seen one before so very interesting to see and also of course to get an id.

I had some last year,that went up to 9 feet when in flower. This year I am growing verbascum banana custard, which should have bigger flowers than the wild variety.

They are biennial,like foxgloves and teasels.Seed scattered this year form overwintering rosettes which shoot up to flower next year.

The flower spike has lots of individual round yellow flowers on it, not one single big flower like a sunflower.

Sorry, I always call it yellow mullein but the official name is great mullein, aka Verbascum thapsus.

These photos were taken last July.

As you can see, they get quite big in fertile soil. The tap roots were hard to get out. I advise removing after flowering but before they scatter seed all over.

• Gets fun a little later when you may be lucky enough to see the mullein moth caterpillar damage. They 'lace curtain' the leaves, which although unsightly is interesting because the caterpillar is a fat white one with yellow hoops and black spotting, brilliant - quite a monster.  

• Fidgetbones, awesome border. Wild flower, weed or garden plant - just shows how we have to categorize stuff, often unfairly