Forum home Talkback

Roses and clematis to train along a fence

I have a 4 ft high fence along the bottom of my garden which is a post and rail fence with windbreak mesh. Its not very pretty so I would like to train something up it to disguise it a bit. 

The garden is sout west facing, with a meadow beyond, so is very open and gets plenty of sun. There is a big walnut tree part way down so some of it is partly shaded. 

Any suggestions of roses (climbers or ramblers) or clematis which would be good? Preferably pink or white. 

I like the look of 'Rambling rector' , and 'sanders white' which is meant to do ok in part shade. Are climbers or ramblers better for a fence?

Clematis wise, I have no idea. Completely confused by all the different types, and have no idea what would be good. Suggestions please!

• PoddingtonPPoddingtonP Posts: 196

I meant to post this is the plants bit, not talk back. Can someone tell me how to move it please? image

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,553

No one takes any notice of where the threads are PP. They all end up on the same pageimage

I think you want ramblers rather than climbers for that situation.

You don't say how long the fence is. Rambling Rector and Clematis montana are huge. 

Its quite long,  about 25metres, but with a gate in the middle. Would it be possible to keep them reasonably compact width wise or are they both quite bushy? There's not a huge amount of border in front of it but I suppose I could extend the borders...

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

A nice small and pretty rambler rose is called Phyllis Bide. Those 2 you mentioned are huge.

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/phyllis-bide/

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,553

They might be difficult to keep compact and get the best flowers. How about  smaller plants but more of them. You could get a longer flowering seaso. montana is great but soon over. If you had an early, summer and late flowering clem you could spread it all out

That sounds like a good plan nutcutlet. I shall do some research. Good job its my birthday in a couple of weeks image

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I have a small white rambler bt David Austin called White Goose, It has small white flwers and a scent that lingers on the air.

It has been a slow starter but this year(planted 2012) still quite small but smothered in flowers

As for clematis - I would look at viticella type. They flower later after the roses have had their main, first flush and you can get lovely deep colours that would look great with white climbers - look at Gravitye Beauty and etoile violette

For early colour look at the macropetala clematis and the alpina type. They would flower before the roses and are not thugs like a montana.

And fro a spectacular white climbing rose there is Iceberg - lovely and always a mass of flowers.