Forum home Plants

Snapped lily - Will it grow?

TomskTomsk Posts: 204

A cat jumped off a fence in my garden and snapped the top of a growing lily plant. Three small heads had formed at the top, though looked like they were far from blooming yet.

Two of them are snapped right off but the third seems OK. So will I only end up with one flower this year, or will new heads grow (like dahlias) over the rest of the summer/autumn.

Annoyingly, I already lost a lily when I discovered a caterpillar had completely eaten through the head of a stalk. What remains isn't really growing and there are no signs of the head growing back.

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

They wont produce any more flowers now if the stem has snapped unfortunately.

Leave the plant grow for the rest of the year then it will flower again next year image

• Bob BobBob Bob Posts: 61

I'm afraid not.

Could be worse - I had around 20 of them snapped last year by builders replacing the neighbors fence. Between accidents like that (I've snapped a few myself!) and lily beetles I'm seriously reconsidering their place in the garden.

• BluuebirdBluuebird Posts: 2

I've had lillies in pots on my patio for about 15 years and the come back every year.I do have to sort the beetles out in early spring but apart from that they look after themselves.They will always be part of my garden