Forum home Plants

Garden newbie....can you recommend pretty plants for garden privacy?

Hi, we are new to gardening and in need of some advice, please.

We have a 30 foot long and 3 foot high wooden fence that divides us from our neighbours garden. We are wanting to plant some things in front of the fence that will provide privacy and look pretty. As we are new to gardening, they will need to be low maintenance and not take over the garden.

Any suggestions on types of suitable plants and where we could look to purchase would be really gratefully appreciated :0)

• I would look at a mix of evergreen and deciduous. Your soil type would be useful to know, but meantime, have a look at Ceanothus (evergreen), physocarpus opulifolius 'Diabolo' (deciduous), pittosporum cultivars (E), the awful photinia  x fraseri 'Red Robin' (E), hoheria sexstylosa 'Stardust'(E), eucryphia nymansensis 'Nymansay' (E).

HC 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,992

To provide privacy from your neighbours you will need something that is 5-6 feet. That will take quite a few years even with the fastest growing shrubs. Have you thought about putting up another higher fence? Or put up 2-3 foot trellis on top of the existing fence and grow lots of fast growing climbers.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi,

Thank you all very much for your replies and all the advice and suggestions. They have given us a lot to think about. image
  • SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

Hi, Novice 2103, I find crocus.co.uk has quite a good search engine for getting ideas - put in aspect, soil, type etc. Has quite good pictures and size details.  May give you some ideas.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,493

I would put up a fence. 6ft wooden slats cost less than 99p each. They will also provide shelter and lessen the wind in your garden. Plant wise depends on the aspect of your garden.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.