Forum home Plants

Unknown plant

Trev7186Trev7186 Posts: 7

Hi,  I'm new to this forum and to gardening in general, the problem is I have a plant I can't identify and wonder ifanyone can help (see pics attached). Thanks in advance. image

• It looks like pyracantha to me, does it have big long spines on the stems?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,918

Spirea - probably 'Snowmound' Trev.image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Trev7186Trev7186 Posts: 7

Hi, Potsandpansies and Fairygirl. It has no spines so I guess its Spirea, thanx for the quick replies image

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

The close-up looks like a hawthorn to me, possibly Crataegus persimilis 'Prunifolia'. This would also have spines. But either of the other suggestions are good too. The photos won't enlarge for me, and I think they are upside down.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,262

it's NOT spiraea snowmound. It might be exochorda or deutzia, but it's hard to tell with all the other foliage around it.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,092

The photos enlarged for me - the leaves aren't hawthorn-ish - they look more pyracantha-ish to me - but if there are no spines image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• It looks like pyracantha, the soft growth tends not to be thorny. 

Hostafan hi, did you see the close up pic? Thanx for the replies landgirl100 and Hostafan. 

The flowers are very small about 8mm across. My wife's just been and looked at the plant more closely and I've been misleading you sorry image it does have spines further down the plant. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,846

and is it evergreen?

It looks more like a pyracantha than anything else to me