Forum home Wildlife gardening

Garden friends

I just came across a new garden friend. There's a plentiful supply of food in my garden which (hopefully) should encourage him to hang around for a while. I've named him Newton image

Anyone have any tips on how to keep him around the place? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,924

Log piles in damp corners and flat slates/stones for him to hide under.  But if he's found your place he obviously thinks it's ok image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Nice name Loriimage

He's quite young so you've probably got adults around. Avoid all those poisonous things that people love so muchimage and leave some undisturbed places for lurking

snap again Doveimage

• Lori73Lori73 Posts: 41

Thanks Dove and Nutcutlet, Undisturbed you say? Ha! I have no problem with undisturbed areas here! He'll be long gone by the time I get round to disturbing most of this place! image 

Same here Lori, there's plenty of untouched corners here still, after 22yearsimage

Just the way I like it.

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

Newton is the name of our newt too!  Great minds think alike.image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,267

I walked into a pub the other day with a newt on my shoulder.This bloke said 'He's nice,what's his name?' So I said 'Tiny'. The bloke said 'Why did you call him that?' So I said 'Because he's my newt'. image

• SweetPea93SweetPea93 Posts: 446

Fishy!! Tut tut

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Haha fishy! newton is very cute, we saw today a little beetle type

Thing that looked like a greenish shield, anyone know what it may have been?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,339

green shield bug. not to be confused with green shield stamps.image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3