Forum home Plants

Help finding Roscoea

Does anyone known any suppliers of Roscoea plants? I already have purpurea and x beesiana. 

Also are they easy to grow from seed? Any information you have on how to sow and how viable they are would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I've just looked on the RHS website and if you type in the plant name it comes with  list of suppliers.

For example this search:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Nurseries-Search-Result?query=16093&amp;name=<i>Roscœa humeana</i>

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869

and yes, they're easy to grow from seed, fidgetbones gave me seed last autumn and they germinated. 

Fresh seed, cold germinated over winter

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

These guys do the hedychium plants http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d133.html

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

Crug farm plants have a comprehensive list. Postage is on the hefty side, so I thought about a trip to the seaside for the day, calling in en route.Its near to Caernarfen in Wales.

I bought some purpurea hybrids including Red Ghurka from  Ashwood nurseries last year. They are just poking through.

I think the seed has to be sown very fresh, and then left to overwinter in a cold frame. I have seed off cautleoides kew beauty just germinated, the seed was off my own plants. When I have bought seed from seed suppliers, it has never germinated. I assume this is because it was dried off too much.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

Where do you live , Stephen? I have a couple of Cautleoides kew beauty plants going spare.

Three clumps from three single plants planted five years ago

A clump from the above that I dug up a couple of months ago, separated and replanted as a new group.

Leftovers potted up and looking for a new home.

seedlings from last years seed off the main clump.

All photos taken today.

• Thanks for all the feedback guys, this helps a lot!

fidgetbones I live in Peterborough. I'd love some plants if you are close by. 

I live nearer to Derby.

I have just ordered  Wisley amethyst from Long Acre plants.

have a look at their list, Stephen, the postage is pretty reasonable.

http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk/acatalog/Roscoea.html

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251

Excuse me for chipping in here - Fidget, I've just planted a pot of R. purpurea in our west-facing front garden - I added lots of compost as the soil is pretty free-draining.  At this time of day it gets direct sunshine from about now - do you think it'll be happy there or does it need more shade? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh