Ground cover roses

Hi, pegged down some stems of my ground cover roses last week. (new bare roots last winter. Not grown roses before.) Do the stems root? So eventually I  take the pegs away? 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,595

Hello Supernoodle, I don't think that your roses will root, no. They may do if they are encouraged to by you though. Just as if you were taking a cutting, you could try, with a very sharp knife, nicking the stem at a leaf joint and pressing that part down firmly, for about a year or so, into the soil. The rose might just put down roots then.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

I tried what pansyface suggests some years ago and they never took. I'd suggest the conventional method.

• Fluffy CloudFluffy Cloud Posts: 200

Roases root very well. Take cuttings instead.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 14,653

they will root , but , in my experience, they'll never be " ground cover"

Devon.
  • SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 948

Thanks guys. I'm just trying to cover the thin border with roses ( shrub roses behind, ground cover in front) rather than looking to propagate, but wondering what'll happen now I've pegged them. Don't really know what I'm doing.... How to peg ( other than to use a coat hanger!), whether to leave forever...  You'll get a query in the winter regarding pruning to tidy....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

I think the pegging is just a technique to encourage what would otherwise be lax an low growing roses to work as groundcover.  My understanding is that you leave the pegs there. Wire coat hangers seem a good idea - or plastic tent pegs?

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 1,983

I have planted 'raubritter'' a ground cover rose, I was just leaving it to it' s own devices... Should I have posted this in the 'growing roses' thread?

• They were doing this on beechgrove garden last week using roses and clematis as ground cover instead of climbers. Looked a really good idea if you have the space for it
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Yes, John I saw that too.  I think they were using Rambling Rector as the ground cover rose.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 1,983

Ooh fab, got it on planner!