Forum home Talkback

Do rose seeds really grow.......

I  brought  a name a rose from the internet,  i have planted few of the seeds in pots with  coarse sand and cover and keep moist, which the information  said to do.......  3 weeks on still no sign of any movement,  has anyone  had any luck with rose seeds? i am starting to wonder if  the seeds will grow,

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Rose seeds can take over a year to germinate.  They may not come true to the parent.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Stratification may help them germinate - place the pot in a plastic bag and put in the fridge (not freezer) for 6 weeks, checking regularly for shoots and bring out if any appear or after the 6 weeks is up and place on a windowsill etc.  With a bit of luck that may get them going before next spring.  If you don't want to do that, leave the pot outside in a sheltered spot (eg by a house wall) over the winter.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,562

Species roses go well from seed,. I don't use a fridge, I use a garden or a cold GH. Rosa rugosa sown in October was flowering by summer. Not a big display but the bushes were a couple of feet high and enough flowers for me to know which ones to keep and which ones to give away.

Hybrids/cultivars will grow from seed if the make any but who knows what you might get.