Plant identity - any ideas welcome.

fotofitfotofit Posts: 73

Hi there !

The photos below taken 06 June 2012 show a herbaceous plant which looks lovely each year - we have lived in our present home for 3 years now. I have no idea what the plant is and nor do any of our neighbours. It does not seem to be growing in any local gardens and I have not seen it for sale anywhere. There's no label next to the plant and so I hope that someone "out there" might be able to help.

Many thanks for taking the time to look !!

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,014

Could it be a Cirsium of some sort ?

Pam x

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

It's a cultivar of knapweed. I grow one very similar - google centurea or knapweed. I will have to delve in the RHS encyclopaedia for cultivar name.

Try centaurea steenbergii or c. John Coutts.

• ezageezaezageeza Posts: 14

Centauria dealbata I think.

• fotofitfotofit Posts: 73

Hi again !!

Thanks ever so much for the very helpful replies. I've followed up the suggestions and now think it's almost certainly Centaurea dealbata 'Steenbergii'. There's even an entry on the GW plant database !! 

I've found the plant to be very well behaved unlike certain other cornflowers which spread everywhere!! This year it is less "leggy" than in previous years and despite the regular rain of recent weeks it has not flopped !!!

I have a few more plants to identify but as they have not flowered yet I cannot take proper photos.

Thanks again and happy gardening image

• fotofitfotofit Posts: 73

Hi again - being new to the forum I'm not sure whether I should start a new thread for help with more plant identification or stick with this one.

Have decided to stick with this thread and see if I get any responses.

The following photos of unidentified plant were taken today and a couple of days ago. The plant is perennial and spreads by way of underground roots sending up individual flowering shoots at random !!!  It hasn't proved to be invasive yet but I think it could be so, if I don't keep it in check !!

Neither the flowers nor leaves are aromatic. Not sure if it's clear from any of the photos but the shoots are square rather than round which I think is unusual so may help with its identity, or family, at least.

The first photo shows the plant in situ in front of the foxglove and to the left of it. The second shows leaf arrangement and flowers in the bud stage, the third a close up of a flower which puts me in mind of a snapdragon and the final photo is looking down at young emerging shoots showing leaf arrangement.

Thanks to everyone for looking and for any helpful suggestions to explore. image

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Looks like a salvia to meimage

• jude5jude5 Posts: 65

Not sure, looks like a red dead-nettle possibly, are you sure there's no smell?

I'd go with dead nettle as well. Lamium is the botanical name I think. Crush a leaf - dead nettle has a rather acrid smell.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

looks rather like Hedge Woundwort [Stachys Sylvatica] - have a look at that one.