Forum home Plants

Help and Advice

PinkypooPinkypoo Posts: 30

After having a new fence put up last weekend i have a few questions on plants. Firstly does anyone know what this sorry looking thing is? It had to be moved for the fence and hasn't done to well since we moved in. Where should it be planted for it to do well or is it past saving? 

Secondly we we had a very old and over grown rosemary bush growing more lick a tree! We have supported the weight of it. Is it normal for them to grow like this? any ideas on how old it is? 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,294

the first one, is , I think Juniper blue carpet , the woody one against the fence is Rosemary

Devon.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

Hi Pinkypoo, the first one is a dwarf conifer of some kind - I don't know which one but perhaps someone else here will, or have a look through these to see if you can match it:

http://www.kenwithconifernursery.co.uk/dwarf-conifers-d

As for the Rosemary, when they get old they do get like that.  Unfortunately they usually don't take kindly to being cut back hard, so if you want a tidier one, I suggest taking cuttings and start off a few new ones to eventually replace it.  They don't usually live all that long but there are exceptions and I think yours is one of them! image  It may be 10 years old or so.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

sorry, missed the second bit of text. Rosemary does get very woody very quickly. The rarely shoot from old wood, so you could perhaps plant a low growing plant in front, eg herbaceous geranium? Won't get too big ,nor compete with it.

Devon.

Juniperus squamata Blue Carpet, if we're being posh.

Devon.