Forum home Talkback

lawns

Hi  I am a new member and could really do with some good common sense help. my hubby had a very  very senior moment and cut our daughter's lawn when it was wet and  also altered the mower setting and has now scalped the lawn. There are patches of soil showing and large areas of brown dead grass. The lawn is a year old and was from good quality turf.  Understandably my daughter is very upset and wants "dad to sort it quickly"  She has 2 very small dogs who have caused no problems with the lawn over the past 12 months, any lawn feed would need to be dog friendly. I understand it will not be just a case of feeding it . Please can anyone help us to revive the lawn or is it past TLC and needs to be returfed.    Many thanks

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,598

My OH frequently scalps ours in places, the beds rotted on the ride on and scalps all the high spots, it will soon grow again, just leave it,the rain will bring it up, the roots are still there. Soil has a natural way of rejuvinating itself, I dont think its nessesary to keep feeding.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,217

I wouldnt worry about the grass it will recover, in an very unlikely event it doesnt recover just reseed the area. I have scalped plenty of lawns with using large professional lawn mowers, they bottom out quite often on uneven ground. Lawn feed unnecessary cause they nothing to feed if the grass is dead, plus with the dog possible weeing on the lawn, you got a natural high nitrogen feed dog friendly aswell. Just depends if its feed even all over the lawn which usually isn't the cause.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

Hi janet. I lowered the cut last week to do the rough bit at the side of my house and forgot to alter it when I went through the gate to the front so a few sq metres were scalped. I've just cut the grass again and its all fine after the rain we've had this week. Mine was fed a while ago so it's in quite good heart. Grass recovers - if it still looks a bit lousy in a couple of weeks, a bit of grass seed will help but other than that - it's just time. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

You only have to look at silage fields to see how 'scalped' grass can be.  Farmers cut it down to ground level and it always recovers.  They also either apply manure (not applicable in your situation) or fertilizer to get it going fast.

• janet b3janet b3 Posts: 2

Many thanks in taking the time to reply.  All we have to do now is convince our daughter that nature has a way of rejuvenating itself  as she is convinced her Dad as "killed " her lawn.                                                                                                    One further question should we use a lawn rake over the brown areas or leave well alone.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

That wouldn't be a bad idea janet. It will allow air to get into the roots which will help it spring back to life in no time. If it hasn't had any kind of feed (I'm assuming not, since it's only a year old)  you could give it that in  a week or two when it shows some life. Make sure it gets watered in well though. A liquid seaweed feed might be the best idea  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,519

I agree with everyone else - it will recover - a bit of gentle fertiliser as Fg says, and if it doesn't spring into life a sprinkling of grass seed and in a few weeks all will be forgotten.

However, if your daughter is wise she'll use this opportunity to get her dad to do some more odd jobs around the garden while he's still feeling guilty - any fences need painting? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh