Forum home Fruit & veg

strawberry questions!

Ive got about 10 strawberry plants growing happily in a pallet. There are loads of berries coming, and i wondered if i should trim some of the leafy foliage back to allow the sun to reach them better? Theres not a lot in ireland, and some of  the leaves are HUGE!

Also.. they are throwing out runners everywhere, what do i do with these, and when?

when the season ends, what do i do with my pallet of plants?

thank you!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,155

I take some of the big leaves off if they're crowding the fruits - I think there's a lot more lush growth this year - usually I don't need do it till much later. There's also  runners forming already which I think is very early but you just peg them down into a pot of compost with a bit of wire and once the the runner shows new growth you can cut it off to separate it from the parent plant. Might be a bit tricky with your arrangement though. I'd remove some of the old compost and replenish with new once the fruits are all done.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • so would i need to have new plants every year then?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,155

Three years is normally when they run out of steam so taking the runners to eventually replace the original plants is the best method. I've had plants for more than three years though which have still been productive. You might need to create another area for your runners which will give you fruit in a year or two. Take runners from them all next year and you'll soon build up a good supply so that you can replace older plants as they start to wane. You can always give some away! I used to have some in troughs on a fence and in amongst ornamentals just because I ended up with so many.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • No expertNo expert Posts: 415

We don't get much sun down here in Tipperary and I leave the strawberries to themselves but a little trimming won't do any harm. What variety? And if you are from Wexford you should have lots of sun.