Forum home Plants

Advice

Some while ago I noticed a walnut shell in one of my planters, but didn't bother removing it as I was always either doing something else or I forgot. Two days ago I saw that it was growing and was about 4" tall!  As walnut trees can grow to 30m or more it is obviously not suitable for a planter OR my small garden. Any advice welcome, such as, - can I restrict it's growth to keep it in the planter or what? hopefully photo to follow. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850

Bonsai?

Don't know what happened but photo rotated on it's own! but suggestion of bonsai sounds good, but I believe they take many years to grow, and I don't think I will last that long!  

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850

You could make a start.image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Yes Peter - give it a go.  I have three bonsai from things just appearing.

Oak - found growing in my allotment.

Apple - grown from a pip from my neighbours apple tree which she felled.

Birch - sapling found growing in garden.

• patty3patty3 Posts: 129

Hi PS

that is nice to have the choice of a stunted growth tree

or let it grow as nature intended  and after two or three years offer it  as sapling tree to  the woodland trust

they will find it a suitable home, your gift to the future.

• Thanks for the advice all, I particularly like the one from patty3 - that has got to be the best choice Ta!

• Contacted the Woodland trust as suggested and had reply the next morning, Unfortunately they cannot accept it as they only take Native species of trees, and as a walnut is non- native ( you learn something new every day) it's a no -go. Thanks anyway. I shall now try the Bonsai route and will report back on progress in about 20 years! Other than that pigeons are having a great time eating my runner bean plants even though I have them covered by netting!!  Any suggestions other than a 12 bore?