Bargains

Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,228

Has anyone had any good bargains regarding plants lately? Yesterday I bought a six pack of Sweet Williams for 50p at the local co-op. They were some of the last summer bedding stock and in surprisingly good condition,certainly better than some poor Marigolds that looked past saving. Anyway,I am giving them a loving home which made me feel a bit better image  I'm hoping they'll be a different colour than the pinky-red and white ones I've already got.

• My son regularly brings me free plants  that his firm throw away because they are not pretty enough for the paying customer!  Last Autumn he brought me 100 pansies! All they needed was a drink and a bit of dead-heading.  Trouble is they were all white! Still, beggars can't be choosers!

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Yesterday a trip to Homebase brought back 12 strawberry plants, two garlic chive plants, and a blackcurrant stick for £3.00 (not sure the stick will make it but thought it worth a go to nurse ready for planting out next year).I would have had more but I couldn't find a basket!

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

It's our duty to save suffering plants image I love a bargain image

• allium2allium2 Posts: 413

I love a bargain. Talking about bargains - has anyone been to the Crocus open days? They've got one this weekend and am not sure whether its worth braving the weather!!!

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Sunny here.

My mum got 18 Busy-Lizzies for a fiver t'other day.  Just sown seeds from a tomato I had in Belgium.  Free plants.  Can't do better!

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,228

Lots of happy gardeners and happy flowers image  Some real bargains there,makes me feel I've been robbed image

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Does 30p for a plastic cup of parsley count? From a car boot sale image
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Forgot about the same for bamboo...
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949
    Somehow ended back at Homebase this evening. Came away with two healthy looking Jonkheer Van Tets redcurrant plants and four more garlic chives for ??4.50.

Someone had done their very best to hide them they were very buried amongst the roses I could only just spot them!

I don't need the garlic chives but as KEF says its our duty to save suffering plants and they just fell in my basket!

Tomorrow I'm off to fetch as much manure as my truck can carry in return for a donation to the local animal sanctuary. I'll try and avoid visiting a garden centre on my way home!image
  • allium2allium2 Posts: 413

Clari - good bargain hunting. image