Forum home Plants

Moving Daffodils?

We've got some Daffodils in one of our front borders that I would like to move.  (They look quite messy and in the wrong place.)

Would ideally like to transplant them into pots for next year.  What's the best way to do this?  I haven't touched them so they are still dying down.

Gardening novice so idiot instructions required!

Many thanks

• Thanks Verdun

Is a general purpose compost okay for the pots?  I'm guessing that I transplant them with leave still intact to let them completely die down.  I also guess that it doesn't matter too much where I put the pots (outside).

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932

If I've got some in pots, I just tuck them away in a quiet corner and let them die down Boris. I use Multi Purpose compost for any that I've lifted and potted up and it seems to do the job. Just remember to label them though! As Verdun says, you can just replant in places you want to put them if you have a space ready.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135

It doesnt mater what you pot them up in for now, as soon as the leaves die back they dont need soil at all. If you intend keeping them in pots, you can dry them, store them and plant in tubs in Sept or october in any compost, or you can pop them in the other garden now.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks everyone.  It doesn't sound too complicated - even for me! 

I think I will re-pot them straight away otherwise they will end up languishing in the shed!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273

I'd go with replanting if you can Boris. Sometimes one forgets about them " in the shed" or mice might take a fancy to them. If you forget about them once you've moved them, THEY  won't forget to start growing next season.

Happy Gardening.

Devon.