design required please

Hello

i have just created a large border and bed as per attached photo and wondered if anyone out there would like to offer me any ideas on a planting plan before I go ahead and out the wrong things everywhere. The length along fence is 20' / 6m and width as max point is 12' / 3.6m. 

The fence faces north north west.

the wall at highest point is 2ft / 600mm

I have planted some very small alpines as you can see against wall and there is a variegated jasmine type plant against wall that will have trellis put up at weekend.

I am looking for a colourful perennial border and have the patience to know it won't look packed for a few years .

all ideas welcome

thanks 

with photo this time

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,636

Before doing a planting plan, you need to know what type of soil you have, ie acid/alkali, clay/loam/sand.

Next you need to decide what sort of plants you like [ look in a few books/magazines ], and what colour scheme you fancy.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,636

PS it looks fantastic and you should be able to make something beautiful in it.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

...and whether you want it to be entirely ornamental or productive as well.  To my mind, that NW-facing fence is just crying out for a couple of espalier apples or something similar. Apple blossom?   Gooseberry cordons maybe?

It's a great shape and it'll look wonderful when its developed.

Just an idea: while you're waiting for the perennials to fill the space, how about some annuals to fill the gaps?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,232

I know you're wanting perennials Grant but a few well chosen evergreen shrubs will give the area some definition over winter too. A couple of obelisks  (or even tripods of canes)  in the middle somewhere, or along the fence, with sweet peas or clematis growing up them would give some height. Try and avoid having the plants all the same sizes. Acteas (cimcifuga)  will also give height and late colour in that aspect  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Nasturtiums are good for filling gaps, as long as you keep them under control.  You can eat them, too, and they'll probably attract the aphids off your more valuable plants.  And they're easy to pull out in the autumn, once the frost's got them (if we ever get any).  The seeds, however, are not si easy to get rid of - but at least you can see them.  I believe they can be pickled, like capers?

• thanks all.

who likes my sexy wall? all my own work constructing a stone BBQ at weekend , wish I had taken up gardening earlier in life haha