Rhododendron

Please can anyone tell me what is wrong with my Rhododendron?

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,177

At the risk of being silly.......if that is one plant have you checked whether the dead half is the result  of having  broken away from the thriving one ? 

I can't enlarge the pic but the difference is so definite.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,645

It could be a break in the stem to those branches or a break in the bark layer which is exposing the cambium layer and preventing moisture and nutrients flowing up the stems.  It may also be verticulum wilt or simply severe thirst?

Cut off one of the sick stems and check for verticulum wilt - http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=255    If not that, try giving it a good soaking at the roots to see if that helps it recover.  If not, cut out all the affected stems and give it a feed or liquid rose or tomato food and some sequestered iron to help it recover. 

If the pruned stems do show signs of verticulum wilt you need to remove the plant with as much root ball as possible and destroy it.   Do not plant another rhodo in its place.  Disinfect your secateurs and other tools after cutting and after digging out.

The Vendée, France
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,754

The problem is that the left hand part is still alive!

Steve.......that's what puzzled me too.......a break surely ?

er...that's not what I meant.  The only good rhododendron is a dead rhododendron! image

Steve.........ooops...........whether you love or hate, doesn't it still make you wonder what the problem is ?..............Well, ok....stupid question I guessimage

No - not at all stupid.  I'd like to find out too, and then maybe I can use it to get rid of the acres of the stuff in a bit of woodland I help with!

None of which is helping much.  Sorry Bluebell!

Wild Rhodos have been an ongoing problem in so many areas for so many years.......like the rest of the well intended "pests" be they plant or animal which have been introduced.......Oh, shut up Philippaimage

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 1,983

Steve I kind of agree,love to see en masse in a wooded valley but want rid of the 1 in our front garden!

Other way round with me - ok in a garden but they don't stay there, and take over the world.  And no, Philippa, don't shut up - there are loads of introduced species that disrupt our ecosystems. Rabbits and ground elder for a start.