Forum home Talkback

Pot plants

I have just moved into my partners home. Needless to say the garden is in desperate need of a woman's touch. I love pot plants, and find it so much easier to handle. It is a very small garden, but I would like to consentrate on the front entrance. There is a large pot and in total shade, sheltered by walls on two sides north & east. I thought of the double begonias which grow so beautifully here with cordylines.  I would appreciate anyone's input.lyn

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Begonias would be ideal Lyn.  Also any hostas love shade and can look quite spectacular in a pot.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

There are some lovely ferns. They're good in shade

• Lyn CohenLyn Cohen Posts: 4

Thanks a ton. I will look on the web for ferns, or do you have suggestions?

what about the cordylines? No good

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,159

Cordylines like sun Lyn so I wouldn't think they'd be very happy there. I'd second the Hostas - they can look very smart in a good big pot. Some of the yellow/green Heucheras will do well in that situation too.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,045

For a permanent display there are quite a few shrubs that would do in a pot in a shady spot - box, skimmia, euonymus, with a bit of nicely coloured ivy draping down.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

Thank you all for your suggestions. This display would be permanent. We live on what is called the Highveld, no winter rainfall. The temperature in mid winter drops to about -2, and the days are glorious rising to + 12 to 14 degrees. I am so keen to get started I feel like a kid in a candy store. Regards Lyn

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Sarcacocca ( seems to be my stock reply at the moment! ) 

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

In South Africa Lyn?

Yes, I am in Johannesburg