Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Unpleasant plant smells

I run the risk of hyperventilating when the garden blooms, inhaling until I am dizzy, but the smell of Crataegus blossom always makes me gurn!

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

And yet I love it.

Now lilies are a different matter  - completely overpowering and rank.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Yet I love the smell of lilies and the smell of my cordyline australis that is flowering at the moment.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,454

My wife hates the scent of Sorbus flowers, I don't mind it, but it is a bit overpowering. Now I hate the smell of one of the weed dead nettles. Really gets to me when I pull them out. Also dislike the smell of Lemon scented herb thing whose name I foget.

• auntie bettyauntie betty Posts: 208

I hate the smell of most lilies, but love hawthorn blossom - just as well as my garden's full of them. Hubby says they smell of old cat wee to him.  I think hyacinths smell like bad air freshener and I also can't bear jasmine. Too pungent. But love fressias, and magnolias have the best fragrance ever. And cherry pie is great (forget the proper name). And pelargonium foliage. And ramsons. ...this is making me hungry!

• There can be nothing worse imo than privet flowers.  They smell like cats wee, and it is particularly sickly on a warm day.  Needless to say, I have no privet hedges in my garden!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,778

Red Valerian, towards the end of the year.  Smells like something has died to me!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Dead nettles/ lamium. Nasty acrid smell. Eeeeurgh.
  • FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

I'm with Shrinking Violet in hating privet flowers. Sorry if I'm getting boring, this is the third thread on which I've said this!! When I lived next door to a privet hedge I couldn't sit out and enjoy the garden while it was flowering. Remind me never to get a cat ;- )

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

I know what you mean about privet flowers, but the butterflies adore them.  I satisfy them and make me feel a bit better about providing something for the flutterbyes by gr owing one in a pot  (now ther is a surprise huh?) well away from anywhere it might offend anyones nose.  The flutterbyes find it, I don't have to - and it fills a rather dull corner quite well. 

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

i dont know the name of the plant.. but i pass it often and it is large shrub with white ball like flowers.. think it verbernum familyimage not sure.. it absolutely stinks foul.