Forum home Plants

top 5

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189

Blue bells, cherry blossom, clematis, lillies and bleeding heart because it came into bloom about a month ago and has just kept going.   

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

What a tough question!

I love salvias, but I couldn't even give you my top 5 of them!

• gardengirl6gardengirl6 Posts: 223

And what about those first snowdrops?

• Iris reticulata,mimosa,sweet peas, snow drops and tulipa ballerina.
  • sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

This weeks top 5 would be-

daffodils to lighten up late winter

alstroemeria-exotic looking flowers but perfectly hardy and trouble free

perennial scarlet lobelia-always stunning

lilies-despite the blasted beetle

dahlias-reliable, colourful will never let you down

there will be others.................

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

My Bramley tree. rhubarb, ferns, snowdrops, forget-m-nots.  These are just for me but the five my wildlife love are slightly different and as i share the garden with them - my oak and Bramley tree, pyracanthas, inula hookeri, ivy.

• RobotRobot Posts: 137

So difficult to choose just 5 but here goes.

Hardy Geraniums - big ones and small ones and all colours - for their unconditional love and no weeds penetrate the foliage.

Philadelphus Belle Etoile - the perfume is filling my garden right now.

Arum Lilies - magestic and beautiful.

Hellebores - for their cheerfulness on dark cold days.

My dark red Peony - it's a rubbish flower for lasting a long time but it reminds me of my late brother who gave me a peony from his garden over 40 years ago.  It was the first plant in the first garden that I ever owned.

• backyardeebackyardee Posts: 132

1. Berheya purpurea, so prickly but beautiful.

2. Morina longifolia, another prickly but wonderful plant.

3. Clematis, gives height and covers all my structures.

4. Hardy geraniums, brilliant ground cover.

4. Paulownia tomentosa. Love the leaves. it flowered the first time this year.

• BenDoverBenDover Posts: 475
    Daffodils - promise of another exciting year ahead in the garden;

Hardy Fuchsia - reminds me of childhood and my grandmothers garden;

Crocosmia - holidays in the Isle of Man as a child going on the train up Snaefell. The line is edged by lots of Crocosmia (and hardy fushia);

Laburnum Tree - had a huge one at the bottom of my garden as a child and loved them ever since - I love the dripping golden yellow flowers in May.

Lillies - just for their sheer exuberance and scent that wafts around the garden when they are in flower.

A lot of my garden plants link back to what I grew up with as a child and I love the familiarity and continuity plants bring. I'm sure there must be some psychology going on there!
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

I loved the late, great and sadly missed Christopher Lloyds answer to this question - when asked what was his favourite plant - he said  'the one I am looking at at the moment', and I suspect he is right.  I could name five now, then in an hour spot something else and realise that's a favourite too -  like just about everyone else here.