Forum home Wildlife gardening

Joys of wildlife gardening

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,785

imageimage

Nothing beats wildlife gardening you know- look what I found today on my small nettle patch:

I haven't looked them up yet to see if they're beautiful butterflies, amazing moths or just plain food for other things but I've only had this garden for 2 years and it's positively brimming with beastiesimage It's just brilliantimage

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,233

At a glance they look like Peacock caterpillars Victoria.Its funny you should post this because I had a Comma butterfly circling a patch of nettles in my garden this very morning. Well done on getting those!! image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Brilliant! image

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,785

It's so cool- I'm buzzingimage

Although I'd like them to be something great- like a peacock- it doesn't really matter as my garden is achieving its aimimage

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Nearly didn't look because of the squeamish in the title.  Curiosity got the better of me and I think that's brilliant! Hopefully they will grow up to be beautiful butterflies or moths. Not everyone has room in their garden to have a nettle patch but could grow flowers for them to feed on.

We have loads of nettles, brambles etc just outside the back hedge and honestly just trying to keep some kind of order is backbreaking.  I think nature is winning here.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

They are Red Admiral larvae Victoria Sponge. Lovely sight.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I too was a bit wary thought chopped up slugs etc. Great that you've got them Vic. image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,799

imageimageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Nothing wrong with chopped-up slugs,  Best sort!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

I haven't seen anything like that for years VS. in spite of my vast collection of nettles

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Nice one VS my patch of nettles is totally clean, I could get best in show with them. image, I don't think I've even seen such a nest of Peacocks. Great!