Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Snapped

Hi all, a couple of months ago Kate bought  a Pyracantha  for £1.95 about 8/10 inches high looking sad ,after a lot of TLC its 20 inch now and really going fot it , today  we very carefully  planted it I lent the spade on the fence it slid off and broke the plant, the root and stem left are 6/8 inches so weve left it planted it looks and should be ok Now the main part is about 12 inches long with 6/8 young branches all about 7 inches long on it looking fit, Now can i do anything with it, can i plant it as a long cutting or cut it down shorter or is it next years compost,i hope not. fingers crossed.image 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

It's the right time of year to take softwood cuttings - nothing ventured, nothing gained http://rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=307 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

That all sounds just great ,i didnt think pyracantha would be ok as a softwood cutting do to there semi woodyness but yes great advise from everyone ,iv down loaded that advise Dove and again many thanks to you all ,Now what shall i break next imageimage