Forum home Talkback

Fertilizer

I want to use a weed to make fertilizer/plant food. Can any one give me the name of this plant/weed

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

Comfrey is often used for this. I believe there is a special strain sold for this purpose. Nettles are good as well.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,365

Comfrey perhaps ?.......... That is a well known one

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Both of those are good.  Comfrey is high in potassium and is reckoned to be good for spuds and fruit; nettles I would think have lots of nitrogen.  You can, I think, use any weed to make a horrible-smelling tea - just soak it for a week or seven -  dilut and water it on.  I do this with non-compostable weeds like dock roots.  It smells vile.

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,630

Hi i think the special Comfry is called Russian bok 14 its supposed not to take over your garden like the ordinary Comfry,Steve is right you also need to use whatever you make correctly,

different plants will thrive on different amounts of NPK, depending on their growing requirements.

For instance, flowering or fruiting plants need the right nutrients to help sustain the growth of the bloom or the fruit. They need phosphorus to promote growth of the root and buds, as well as relatively larger volumes of potash to encourage healthy fruit or flower production. If you give flowering or fruiting plants too much nitrogen, the chances are that you’ll just encourage an abundance of leafy growth – and not much more. Not ideal for promoting flower blooms or a heavy fruit yield! i make nettle tea and comfry and follow these rules its free and works well so does seaweed tea. go to  Is Nettle Fertiliser Suitable for All Vegetables?

hope this helps Alan