Forum home Talkback

The challenges of a smaller than average garden

SweetPea93SweetPea93 Posts: 446

I say it a lot, but we have a small garden. A very small garden. I dare to say, maybe the smallest of all the 'regulars' on here. And after three months, I've filled it. No more room for anything. It's infuriating! Especially with you all sharing your wonderful photos of clematis!

The drive is bigger than the entire garden!

But what I have in my 15ftx8 garden is an array of plants. Including and not limited to, lettuce, spinach, coriander, parsley, five tomato plants, three strawberry plants, a pepper plant, spring onions, violas, marigolds, fuchsias, a lilac, three roses no less, dainthus, ameria's, sweet peas and a whole lot more besides, when I joined the forum I only expected to have some pots, and get some advice on what things grow well in containers, now I have an allotment three times the size of my garden, more plants and seeds I dare count, I even own a lawnmower, two forks, a spade, two rakes, secateurs, a tiny but still is a greenhouse.

The only issue I have with such a tiny garden is that there is nowhere to have any seating, and a shed. What I'd give for storage! But this is my little lot for now, and I couldn't be happier and prouder of what I've achieved in this three month period, and how much happier I am as a person for it. And a lot of it is thanks to you all image So thank you!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,474

That is so pretty and so colourful Sweetpea - give yourself a hearty pat on the back image

Make sure you've got a seat up at the allotment - you'll need it image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SweetPea93SweetPea93 Posts: 446
    Dovefromabove wrote (see)

That is so pretty and so colourful Sweetpea - give yourself a hearty pat on the back image

Make sure you've got a seat up at the allotment - you'll need it image

Finding a bench has been nightmarish Dove, there aren't any that are affordable local to us! At the moment it's on your bum on the grass at the mercy of the bugs, I have a kneeling pad up there I use as a cushion when it's damp! The life of glamour huh?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,474

A sturdy upturned bucket with a cushion or folded jacket on it will have to do then image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..very nice..nothing wrong in that...my last garden was a patio no bigger than where your greenhouse is...

...my driveway is similar to yours and what I've done..although it's not cheap... is to put some large containers along the side and plant them up with an evergreen for year round interest... I might put them perhaps along that railing..maybe 3, if there's room still for parking...  I've got Camellia's planted up in mine...just a thought for the future maybe...

..storage is always a problem I find..not to mention our wheelie bins..!

There isn't space sadly where the gravel is. It's wide enough for the car, but nothing else. OH wouldn't be able to get into the car otherwise, but down the left of the lawn we've got the strawbs, toms, and lettuces in pots. We've also planted in the very narrow 'border' to the right some alpines and some bulbs, mainly to see what will happen.

This house isn't a forever house, so there isnt much point in planting too much, or spending a lot on expensive climbers and the such, as much as I'd love to, as we may not even be here in a few months time.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Maybe a fold up plastic camping chair (or 2 for OH) which you can use on your lawn then fold away and prop against the fence.  I have an old metal fold up chair on my allotment which I prop against the compost bin when not in use. 

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

In some ways you have to be much cleverer to garden a small plot.  With a larger plot you need more energy.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I have a wooden chair that folds up SP, it's great as I put it in the GH when there is room, at the moment it's outside by my shed.

You should be very proud of your garden, it shows that you don't need a huge space to make it beautiful, just a bit of imagination and TLC.

I love pots, they take a bit more looking after as they need more watering but I love that you can swap about what's in them, I have quite a few pots now, and of course there is the benefit if being able to take them with you.

Big pat on the back for you SP imageimage

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,270

There's always hanging baskets too SweetPea image

That's the plan OL, I just got a lilac that I've wanted for so so long, but I'm keeping it in pots until we settle somewhere, whenever that might be!! It's rather cluttered at the moment with pots, but soon we can do some 'pot arranging' with the seedlings.

I wish I could start on next door, they're a little peculiar, often rude, and seem to smoke rather suspect... plants? but they've had a bag of compost on a bench I've never seen them use since we moved here in September. *grumbles how I could put them to better use*

The other neighbours have become a little 'keeping up with the jones'' and have started to improve their garden too, not that I mind, anything that keeps the houses looking lovely and inviting helps everyone in the long run.