Forum home Plants

hibiscus or rose of sharon

ycunnixxxycunnixxx Posts: 9
Help please. My hibiscus is 5 yrs old and for the last couple of years has produced no flowers at all. I'm not sure if it's dead though. I lifted it and it has lots of thick roots but not many fibrous ones and I've also scraped back a little of the bark and it is green underneath. If anybody has any advice enabling me to revive it, I would really appreciate it, thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,416

You don't mention leaves. A plant can live without flowers but not leaves.

Has it  got any?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ycunnixxxycunnixxx Posts: 9

Oops, sorry, no leaves

It's June, if there's no sign of leaves I think it's dead or as near dead as makes no difference.image

So no chance whatsoever of saving it?image

I doubt it but someone might turn up and disagree later on.

How much pleasure this shrub has given you over the last few years. Is it worth the effort?

Thanks for your advice. I think I knew anyway, just needed it confirmingimage

That's often the way of it yc.  Sometimes I'm looking for an excuse to dispose of something, other times trying to preserve something that's just a waste of space.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I'd give it a bit longer as Hibiscus can be one of the slowest plants to leaf-up.  I had two identical ones delivered early this year which went into the cold GH.  One began sprouting leaves in March, but the other remained dormant until mid-May.  It is getting a bit late though.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

You mention Rose of Sharon in your title.  Isn't that Hypericum?