Too late for tomatoes

Hi, I bought a small compact greenhouse from sainsburys last year and now, finally having moved into my own property, have decent space to put it up. However, is it too late to starting planting tomatoes and chillis through seed?  

Thank you for your help!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414

Yes, too late for seed, but you can pick up some plants from a GC - do a bit of research on the varieties they offer and choose some that you'll enjoy eating. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,858

They often have plants going cheap by the time it gets to June - I got 3 tomato plants for thirty pence last year!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,622

here in Devon lots of homes have tables outside with surplus plants for sale, or try car boot sales for cheap plants. If budget allows or you want particular varieties, garden centres / nurseries are probably the best option.

Devon.
  • MMflowerMMflower Posts: 55

Thank you all for your responses, yes I'll definitely try my local GC and plant sales image I suppose I'm  getting a bit ahead of myself in terms of wanting to do all sorts of planting - flowers and plants this year. image

• MMflowerMMflower Posts: 55

And to answer your questions about where I am - am in the Southeast of England. As for the walnuts on the walnut tree, I can see a handful of them but was told by the lovely folks to sold the house to us that very often, the squirrels make off with the walnuts before they have even 'ripened'. Their advice to me was to get them before July which is when they ripen and also to prune the tree as it grows wild, very fast-growing it seems. 

My garden, overall, is not big and the fruit trees themselves are small but the apple and the pear trees do have quite a bit of fruit on them. One of the other pear trees seems to be dying. I'll try and post a few pictures of the garden. image

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Hi flower, your garden sounds lovely, I did plant tom seeds but am a bit rubbish at looking after seedlings properly-got 2 small children who I do look after properly-! I also got 2 small plants from local plant sale 2 weeks ago for 50p both doing well

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414

If you want to beat the squirrels you can pick the walnuts before they ripen and make some Pickled Walnuts http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/pickled-walnuts/ - I love them with cold meat at Christmas image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Notwithstanding the lateness of the season I'm going to sow some tomato seeds next week.  I don't expect much of a crop now but I want to see if seeds of a particularly tasty variety can be made to germinate and grow.  My OH here in Belgium can buy Dattorino tomatoes - miniature plum toms which are yummy.  Yummier still when they're fresh and organic I should think.

Anyone tried it?