Forum home Talkback

My own garden

MMflowerMMflower Posts: 77

Hello All, I've just bought my first house (yay!) and finally gotten my own garden to play around with (and hopefully not destroy) .image While the garden is in a decent condition with a few fruit trees (plum, pear, apple) and a Walnut tree and an assortment of flowers, I'd like to give my own touches and plant some of my own favorite plants.

I recently got carried away and bought 3 roses to plant near the back wall of the garden (a 'Compassion', 'Dans de feu' and an 'Aloha'). I did not have bonemeal with me so planted without it. Will this ensure a healthy plant and what else can I do? image I did the same for a few Dahlia bulbs which I planted at the borders. I've now ordered bonemeal.

Thank you so much for your help in advance and looking forward to discussing more with you all and applying your techniques to my garden.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,502

Good morning and welcome MMflower image

That sounds like a fabulous garden - all those trees!!!   

I think those plants will be fine - if I were you I'd get some Fish Blood & Bone and sprinkle some around them, as directed on the pack - that's a balanced slow release fertiliser that will promote healthy growth.

And my tip of the day for you is: Walnut trees give off something that stops most other plants growing close to them, so don't waste effort and money planting anything underneath yours.  

But on the other hand - I love walnuts - has yours got any nuts forming yet?  Watch out for crows and rooks - they steal them! 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Welcome MMfflower image When out shopping don't forget to check out famous band poundshops - I bought a box of bonemeal from them for a pound. Def good value image

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..Hello...nice to see you... you have some nice roses there to grow.... there is still time to apply some fertilizer, if you live in this country....I'm not sure whether or not you're American..?   I only feed my roses once a year in March and grow them fairly hard from them on... no manure...

...those 3 you have should all be strong growers in any case..

..sounds as though you have a good sized garden already...with some lovely trees there.... best wishes...

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

welcome to the forum and how exciting to have your first home, AND first garden.

bonemeal is good for root growth, but Fish , Blood and Bone is a better " all rounder" 

Ask plenty of questions on  here , and chat to your neighbours. They'll let you know what grows well locally ( soil conditions etc) and it's a great way to make new friends.

Enjoy.

Devon.