Forum home Plants

astrantia

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

i have 2 astrantias planted last year as small plants, loads of foliage, very short on flowers, any ideas welcome please, thanks

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,786

Hi Rosemummy 

I was wondering if it because the plants are young as mine don't have many flowers either. I planted some last year to replace some that I thought had died from the previous year and this year there are astrantias everywhere, but as you say mostly just foliage...

Maybe they are the sort of perennial that blasts into life after a few years to establish? I don't know that though, just guessing...image

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Thanks verdin,just fed them,no chance of them getting dry here in Sheffield on my lay soil,Victoria I think you couldbe right, I ' just impatient for lots of flowers, I actually seem to have this problem with a lot of my plants, violets,peonies,aubretia, our gardens both get partial sun andi'veneverfed plants regularly before except my prized sweet peas and roses..should have started anew thread really.. Wonder if I get feeding regularly flowering will improve? Get lots of good foliage

I admit I never usually bother feeding things that live in the ground- only containers. I rarely water anything in the ground either...image

Last autumn when ordering some bulbs I somehow managed to order 5 bottles of liquid feed, I think it kept adding to the basket, so I should probably feed everything this yearimage

Heehee! 5 bottles?! that'splantfood fornext5 years sorted then, I'll give you a shout if Irun out!

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,970
    Victoria Sponge wrote (see)

Last autumn when ordering some bulbs I somehow managed to order 5 bottles of liquid feed, I think it kept adding to the basket, so I should probably feed everything this yearimage

I am about as bad. Went to the garden centre and while there bought a spray bottle of weedkiller. Came home and went to put it on the shelf ...............alongside another 2 new bottles already there! I have enough weedkiller now to kill my entire garden!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

Glad it's not just meimage

I must have had a period of absent mindedness last year as I also keep finding plants that I don't remember buying/planting. Real plants, not weeds, some with plug tissue still around the roots...

Unless I have an infestation of piskies- that would explain a lot...

They are really beautiful, both mine have 4 buds/flowers, not huge plants, maybe expecting too much, just remembered, got sea pink/ thrift not flowering at all, looks green and healthy but no flowers!