Forum home Talkback

Couch grass gone mad

Sammy7Sammy7 Posts: 12

Just moved to a new home with a 50ft x 50ft garden. The entire garden has been taken over by couch grass. Beds, borders, lawn and even between the concrete patio and external wall of the house.. Is it something i can treat with a weed killer or is it  one of those times when only a fork and my sweat and tears can tackle it? many thanks x

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

if you use a fort, you'll spend the rest of your life trying to get rid of it. Glyphosate is the way forward.

Devon.

fork even, tsk @ self

Devon.
  • Sammy7Sammy7 Posts: 12

Lol thank you very much.. two guesses what il be doing this weekend. X

Sammy, I'm not one to resort to chemicals as a first option, but honestly, I worked in professional horticulture for 30 years. Glyphosate ( roundup) only kills what it touches and leaves no residue in the soil. I never use insecticide, fungicide but, for problem weeds, I'm happy to use glyphosate based weedkiller.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,616

But if you're using a glyphosate weedkiller (which is the sort Hostafan advises and I agree with him) then you must leave the couchgrass to die and go brown before you dig it up.  In this way the chemical travels back through the plant to the roots and kills them too.  If you dig it up too soon any little bit of root left behind will regrow.

It may take a few weeks, but it's the only way that it'll work properly.

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Sammy7Sammy7 Posts: 12

I think I might do all of the above..Glyphosate until brown, dig up then torch the blasted stuff. Many thanks image