Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

IDPLEASE

Hi we inherited this tree in very poor condition so i gave it a trim and its woken up ,but we dont know what it is ,the main other trees are magnolias ,could this be another one perhaps.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

looks like catalpa bignonoides aurea

but can't say for sure 

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I should think that's right, it's at about the stage of my green one. But yellowerimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Must be quite exciting having all of these mystery plants springing up, Alan!

BTW, nice looking Ceanothus in the background - love those. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Hi yes iv followed that and yes all correct,weve got an Indian bean tree,that seems to be its common name,Catalpa it is many thanks and yes Bob ,we keep clearing parts and finding these little treasures or things like this latest one its good fun,and the Ceanothus im trying to find out the best way and time to take cuttings as we love it but need more of it around the garden,many thanks everybody for all that ,just great 

Alanimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Ceanothus cuttings are reputedly difficult to root, but now's the time to try  http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=354 

As they're supposed to be difficult, try taking quite a few image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.