Forum home Plants

Nightshade

Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,275

I was at my Dad's today clipping his hedge and came across a vine with very waxy leaves,mid green in colour and almost as though they had been polished.They were very heart-shaped and the vines had unripe green berries.It was winding its way up a young pine tree.Sadly I don't have a pic as I forgot to take my android phone. Any clues? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 26,982

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,275

Absolutely bang on nut!! I somehow knew it would be you to come up with the answer. Your link says the berries are poisonous,I'm assuming the rest of the plant is too? I handled it with gloves image

I wouldn't eat any of it but I handle most things without gloves at times.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,391

Black Bryony would be my guess too.  They can put on an amazing show with the berries later in the year.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,275

It says it produces a large tuber,that figures because I could have sworn I'd seen it there before.

It's perennial so will end up with a big root.

Mine has become very shaded, the hazels are due a coppicing next winter, I never see red berries. That will be why I still only have one plantimage

The other plant that's called briony, white briony, Brionia dioica has a root that looks like one of those long white radishes, mooli. I have lots of those and I do get berries.l

If in doubt watch it, enjoy it but don't eat it would be more my take on it Mikeimage