Marigolds looking... well weird

The first things we've grown from seed have flowered, some french marigolds, the centres have formed nicely, but there's only five petals surrounding the middle, they look decidedly odd. I've not had chance to take a photo, but does anyone have any ideas at all?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,698

Hi Sweetpea image

If you google French Marigolds Images you'll see loads of different types, including a few single ones - do yours look anything like those?

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Hard to tell without a pic sp93. Well done from growing from seed. I bought 6 to plant into pots in greenhouse to deter aphids, they were tiny but flowering. I've potted them on and nipped flowers off to make them grow bigger rather than flowering too early. image Dunno if this helps you.

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Didn't see you there Dove image

• SweetPea93SweetPea93 Posts: 446

I'm just popping out in a minute so will grab a photo then.

They don't look disimilar is shape to http://www.tandmworldwide.com/flowers/flower-seeds/marigold-seeds/marigold-paprika/tp03829TM

but ours are all yellow. Is it advisable to cut the blooms off then?That seems such a shame! I think this thread is going to highlight just how new I am to gardeningimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,698

Those are so pretty - do yours look like that?

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

This is what they look like, but were supposed to be of the big, full head variety!

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,177

Look good to me......none of mine have even germinated so count yourself lucky Sweetpeaimage

I dont supposee you might have an idea of what this marigold leafy looking plant may be? It's pretty much sprang up out of nowhere and is about 30cm tall!!

• Think they are French marigold (or Tagetes), SweetPea.