Forum home Talkback

Trying to plant a hedge to keep children safe

I have an area outside my front door that is 546 cm by 66 cm that has been concreted over with stones on top to decorate. I want to have hedges there and have today tried digging the area up, but there seems to be no end to the concrete and no sign of earth or anything resembling it. So the only other option is to make a raised bed to plant the hedges in but that might only be 6" deep. Really my question is do I continue digging up the concrete or do I/can I plant hedges in a raised bed that is only 6-8"deep?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Box is shallow rooted but it takes a good time to. Difficult problem.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,403

Paul...........6 to 8 inches is cutting it very fine for hedging plants.

A temporary solution may be to place pots of  plants in your raised bed....depending on your aspect as to what sort you choose............until you have decided whether to continue digging deeper.  At least that way, you could have some greenery without wasting money on something which is going to die due to lack of depth.

Don't envy your predicament but maybe someone will turn up with a good plan for you  .Hope so anywayimage

• Thank you Dave and Philippa,

Would you recommend a particular depth that the soil would have to be for the hedging plants to develop? I am going to use shrubby honeysuckle for the hedge.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd go down to 18 inches for a reasonable soil depth. Try Lonicera Nitida, they can cope with between 10 to 18 inches.