Help! What can I do? My crocosmias have been traumatised!

I've had a disaster of epic proportion.

7 yr old has pushed 3 yr old into the monbretia. They are now completely flatten in the middle. What can I do?  With they still flower?    Would supporting them help? 

Sorry for being such a drama queen, but I totally gutted the foliage was looking perfect and so uniformed, I knew they were going to be just stunning this year. image 

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,183

If not actually broken, you could support with sticks and string until they pick up again.

If they are actually broken, you may have lost the flowers this year but you will still have them for next year.  Not much consolation I know but ...............image

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

I think they flower for a long period so maybe you've only lost the first lot of flowers. Mine haven't even started to show any flowering just plenty of foliage image As PS2 says they will be back next year even if the worst has happened.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,030

We had a dog (collie-cross) who loved to roll in the montbretia on hot sunny days to cool off!  It always recovered and I have tried to move it and still the leaves persist. I know it's crocosmia now but I bet it's still as tough

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,030

Actually we should ask if the 3 year old is OKimage  I presume soimage

• Shrinking VioletShrinking Violet Posts: 915

I have always found them to be very robust.  I would sort of comb them through my fingers (if that makes sense) to lift the leaves a bit, and insert twiggy supports in between.  The leaves would then have a chance of being more upright, and the flowers would also have a bit of support. 

Hope that helps!

• CaralCaral Posts: 301

Thanks guys, I'm over the initial shock now 2 glasses of wine helped image So pleased to hear that they are tough. I've thought about putting canes and string, but worried that I will damage the plants around the flattened ones. I think it may be good to just to leave them and hope for the best. Thankfully its a tad early for the flowers and perhaps even if the foliage is damaged they will recover enough to flower.  

P.S. The 3 yr old is fine he can give as good as he gets, even he had to admit it was a rather good rugby tackle. image 

Thanks again. x 

• CaralCaral Posts: 301

Shrinking Violet, I immediately combed them through whilst saying "there, there". image 

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 948

Lol! Just read the thread From start

LesleyK wrote (see)

Actually we should ask if the 3 year old is OKimage  I presume soimage

Shrinking violet:

i have always found them very robust.

imageimageimage Still laughing image

• Shrinking VioletShrinking Violet Posts: 915

Supernoodle - I had to think about that for a minute or two - and then realised the unfortunate juxtaposition of my post with the one immediately before it!  imageimageimage 

I wish I could lay claim to having planned it as a joke!