Fungus on my Acer

Please help me to identify what is happening with my Acer (apologies that the picture appears to have flipped through 90 degrees)

The trunk of the tree (it is only three feet tall but definitely a tree!) is totally covered by an awful looking fungus. However, the canopy is more beautiful than ever and seems totally unaffected.

I would appreciate any advice regarding what is growing on my beautiful tree; what I need to do to remove it (assuming I need to); and whether it is a threat of any sort to the rest of the shrubs and perennials in my small garden.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,696

The picture won't enlarge so I can't see any detail, but I think that might be a bad infestation of scale insects, possibly Horse Chestnut Scale  which can also affect acers. 

Information here http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=650 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Carly53Carly53 Posts: 5

I think I might have the same problem on my acer, just spent half an hour spraying with water and wiping them off

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,169

You need to use a soap based insecticide to dissolve the waxy covering, then the insect underneath will die.