Autumn sown sweet peas

Was interested in Monty Don's sweet pea trial. I have always planted seeds in September/October, over wintered in 5C heated greenhouse and this is how they looked a week ago. I have had three pickings already! How are yours?

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

They are lovely Cath!

I started mine in early March and they're not a patch on yours, although they have really enjoyed the recent warm weather. This year I'm trying to grow mine up an old oak tree stump as well as in patches in the garden.

• Well done, Cath and as Leggi says they are lovely.

First of all, I wouldn't pay too much attention  to what Monty Dons says about sweet pea growing.

Regarding growing them from autumn sowings, they really don't need any heat at all. They are extremely hardy and will cope with say -12c without any problem at all....in fact they will be stronger plants if exposed to some hard frosts. 

These are some of mine picked today:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/P6200028.jpg

• AuntiemandAuntiemand Posts: 44

I planted seeds outdoors in October and have my first picking this week.   Plants are very vigorous and healthy.

Spring sown are still way behind.

• gardengirl6gardengirl6 Posts: 223

Cath and David, your sweet peas are wonderful - I am so envious!    Thank you for sharing the photos with us.   Mine were spring-sown and not even in bud yet!   I shall have to try the autumn sowing this year.

• ladygardener2ladygardener2 Posts: 340

I always sow in the autumn and am picking the first lot of flowers now. I sow in late winter/early spring too 'tho and this gives me flowers right through to autumn. image

• gardengirl6 wrote (see)

Cath and David, your sweet peas are wonderful - I am so envious!    Thank you for sharing the photos with us.   Mine were spring-sown and not even in bud yet!   I shall have to try the autumn sowing this year.

You're very welcome, gardengirl.....I hope it goes some way to dispelling Monty Don's ill-considered advice that autumn sowing of sweet pea seed was a waste of time.

• gardengirl6gardengirl6 Posts: 223

What a good idea!     I shall give two sowings a try next time.    I do love these flowers and the colours are wonderful.    I like the fact that the more you pick them, the more flowers you get!

• ladygardener2 wrote (see)

I always sow in the autumn and am picking the first lot of flowers now. I sow in late winter/early spring too 'tho and this gives me flowers right through to autumn. image

That's a sound plan, ladygardener....Autumn sown sweet peas are often over (depending on the weather) by mid-August, while spring sown seed will carry on producing flowers until October.

• KoalagirlKoalagirl Posts: 225

My autumn sown SP's have started flowering now.  It lifts my heart every year when I see the first blooms open.  This year I have grown some in a big pot at the front of my house too.  I only normally grow them in the back garden.

• CathRJCathRJ Posts: 7

What a great response from my sweet pea observations. The idea of two sowings is a great idea as I find mine start to slow down by later in the season. Do you have the problem of lower leaf loss and reduced flowering mid season? Mine are in troughs, fed and watered well and they do pick up later ........