French Marigolds, something is eating them!!

Something quite strange is happening to my French marigolds. 

I first noticed a small few of the seedlings had been decimated in the greenhouse a few weeks back, and didn't think much of it as there was just the odd few. I put some outside in pots amongst the veg and left some in the greenhouse as pest control. I've done this a few times and seems to keep a lot of little nasties away.

so last week I'm out emptying the slug traps and noticed a couple of the French marigolds where just half a stem. Though oh no slugs have developed a taste for them, or starlings had been at them. I then discovered my Mam was having the same problem, she said it wasn't slugs and she'd found what she described as tiny tiny black mites on the back of the leaves. She told me to check mine and spay them with some bug killer or something. So checked them and these little black things where on them. So I sprayed them. Seemed to of done the trick until this morning, I wander in to the greenhouse to disdover 2 of the 8 French marigolds have been decimated over night.

anyone have any idea what's going on??

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633

Slugs or caterpillars.  Tiny mites wouldn't decimate overnight.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

It will be slugs or snails, they are experts at hiding under, in, around any form of pot or seed tray. You have to inspect every pot, seed tray, container in minute detail looking inside the drainage holes as well. Even small one's can decimate seedlings or mature plants. I bet you will find one lurking.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

the slugs that are eating them  are very small and do the most damage.

• Ahhh I suspected it was slugs! I did pick a few out of the compost bin in the greenhouse a few week ago!! Damn things!!! Well I suppose it's a good thing they eat the marigolds rather than my lettuces!!!

image thanks folks!!!