Unknown Bugs - help!

My raised beds are 3ft high. I planted some cauli and courgette and found some of them wilting........

These were hiding in the soil and amongst the roots of those not eaten already.  I also found one bursting out of a courgette stem.

I also found the following in the soil..

and finally....

a tiny skinny wiry worm also in soil.

What are they?

Where did they come from (bed grew fab strawbwrries last year) ?

How do I get rid of them before they spread?

I really don't want to lose anything else.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,337

hello lw. The first culprits look look vine weevils.  The second are cut worms, caterpillars of some sort of insect. They do what they say on the tin. The third, I'm not sure, but I don't think they are bad in themselves, just joining in the paety now that others have opened up the drinks cabinet.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Third are leather jackets, you can get nematodes for them and the others.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

...and the wiry worms may be - wait for it - wireworms.  They used to eat the roots of grass before it was a veg plot and now they're hungry.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

First definitely vine weevil larvae. I found quite a few in troughs I was emptying this week. Which was a lot easier than trying to deal with them in the ground. It seems that nematodes are the best way to go. 

• Thanks everyone.  Have done research now and you are all correct.  Easy once I knew what to look for.  I've just ordered a mix pack of Nematodes so I hope they arrive hungry.  They can join in the party that pansyface mentioned....get the little b****rs drunk then pounce!  image

How long will they take to work?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Not long at all you will struggle to find any of them within the week.