Grass snake

Knowing there was a little contretemps on a previous thread about Grass Snakes just wanted to share my pleasure at the appearance of one in my garden this pm.

I've had them in a garden in Cornwall in 1990 and more recently in France but this is the first one in this garden (Somerset). 

I am so pleased......made my dayimageimage 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,226

That's very good to hear Philippa. They live here and I saw a couple earlier in the season but nothing for weeks

I'm a little envious now

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,611

I love snakes image  We used to get grass snakes on the small-holding - it was wonderful to watch them swimming across the pond in the top meadow, presumably after the Gt Crested Newts image

We also get adders on the coastal heaths of Suffolk near my old home - I wouldn't take the dogs there, particularly on cold summer days when the snakes might be drowsy and irritable, but watching them basking on a sunny bank in the summer was a joy. 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,405

That is cool Philippaimage I would be over the moon...

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,168

Thanks all...........I was really pleased to see him/herimage

As with any animal......if it makes a noise/hisses at you, you are too close for comfort...........both yours and its...........snakes tend to avoid collision with you.......just a bit of care is needed.

• scrogginscroggin Posts: 2,071

Saw one last week, sadly not in our garden, but great to see none the less. We're lucky enough to have lizards and slow worms on the allotment. Fantastic bug hunters as a bonus.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,168

Scroggin........glad to hear about your lizards......used to have them in Devon years ago but none so far here.  Plenty of slow worms tho........also a joyimage

Just coming away from Reptiles for a minute........does anyone have Glow Worms these days........used to have loads but not seen any for agesimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 14,647

there was a grass snake crossing the lane outside our house last week, so I know they're around. Never seen one in the garden. Our last garden in Hants had lots of slow worms but I haven't seen them here in Devon yet.

Devon.
  • I'm aching to get some slow worms in our wildlife garden.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    You have a walled garden Verdun.....you really should open it up to the public as suggested on another thread......winky face image