Forum home Fruit & veg

How to protect container grown fruit tree's from too much rain?

I run a community garden in Enfield Middx and have a container grown (Kitchen Bins with proper drainage holes and polystyrene) mini orchard but can't figure out how to cover the soil to stop the rain getting in I'm really concerned that I'll lose them any idea's?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,825

As long as the pots are draining well there's no need to cover the soil.  It might help to raise the pots up on pot feet or bricks or tiles or some such things, making sure that you don't block the drainage holes.  That will help the drainage holes to work. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Liz  DouglasLiz Douglas Posts: 28

Thanks I've already set them on bricks and added stones before I added the polystyrene to make sure. I read somewhere that too much rain can kill them off so thought I'd post here. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,825

It will only harm them if they get waterlogged. If the pots are draining there's no need to worry image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Liz  DouglasLiz Douglas Posts: 28

Good to know thank you image