Any apples yet?

Hello all,

Is anyone seeing any fruit starting to grow on their apple trees right now? I'm currently seeing zilch, despite a wonderful display of blossom a month or so ago. I'm sure I had apples on all 3 trees coming along by this time last year or am I mistaken? Cherries and blueberries are looking good though.

Best,

Gareth.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,277

Some apples forming but my tree is looking fairly ropey and I doubt I'll get a good crop this year.......nothing like last year anywayimage

• Shrinking VioletShrinking Violet Posts: 918

Now you come to mention it - a very poor fruit set on my apple tree, too.  And I expected great things, given the absence of frost etc.  I can only assume that the insect pollinators had been adversely affected at the critical time. image

• Gareth99Gareth99 Posts: 38

Thanks, both. Seems I am not alone. I wonder if the mild but wet winter has not helped matters either. Fingers crossed for a late harvest.

G

• mine are doing great up in the north east. My Redlove Era apple has approx 92 fruits swelling (to be thinned) and my cox orange pippin is also doing great all around 2cm across now

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,277

Greenfinger...............we'll all be up your way later on  scrumping then........watch outimage

PS  What was your address again please ?image

• Shrinking VioletShrinking Violet Posts: 918

Sorry to say, Gareth, but if you don't have fruit setting now, there will be no "late harvest". 

Ah, well - that's the way it goes!  Glut one year, famine the next.  We gardeners just have to go with the flow.

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

Mine seem to be all bearing fruit even the newly cordoned one I bought this year, in north Yorkshire.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 11,249

The early ones got frosted just after the flowers had been pollinated and all fell off. The later ones are OK and have lots of fruit. Maybe if you have space, hedge your bets with a later variety.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Gareth99Gareth99 Posts: 38

*shakes fist at northerners and their apples*

Never mind. My poppies and roses are looking good this year so i'll have to make do with them.

Cheers, all!

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

Hey gareth, my roses are full of buds if not flowering and the poppies(which I never planted) are looking lovely, image