Hanging basket trial

Well, as an experiment I've just planted-up a couple of hanging baskets with a new dwarf (just 12" high) clematis named 'Bijou'.

This is what she looks like in a patio pot, so fingers crossed: 

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/bijouclematis.jpg

The plan is, I'll be able to take them down in the winter, overwinter them in my cold greenhouse & put them out again next spring.

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Very pretty !! - think I may do the same next year.

• grannyjannygrannyjanny Posts: 34

I had Piilu in a hanging basket but OH thought it was twigs when he was having a clear out & out it wentimage. That looks lovely David. I might have to treat myselfimage.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Grew this last year, its lovely - it has grown again this year but is paler and rather straggly in comparison - mind, I just let it die down & kept it in the cool greenhouse.  Maybe I should cut it to tje base this year.  

Grew this last year, its lovely - it has grown again this year but is paler and rather straggly in comparison - mind, I just let it die down & kept it in the cool greenhouse.  Maybe I should cut it to the base this year.  

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

I was so impressed with David's basket that I've just gone and bought myself one from Taylors. They reckon that it grows to 2' maximum and should be cut back hard.

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,014

It is beautiful ,David image

• That looks lovely, i will try that next year as my baskets are all out now.image

• That looks lovely, i will try that next year as my baskets are all out now.imageimage

Have fed mine with clematis pellets, and top dressed with new compost and she is starting to look alot better.  Will cut to base next time as advised. 

• Bookertoo wrote (see)

Will cut to base next time as advised. 

Yes, the way to go  think!

The instructions on mine advised this.