Forum home Wildlife gardening

Blanket Weed

• Carl 90210Carl 90210 Posts: 3

Sorry for bumping this topic! It's best if you try and avoid getting any blanket weed/ algue by adding 50g of straw per square metre (it doesn't matter how deep the pond is) every few months. I buy the straw pads off ebay!

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Barley straw products will be illegal from September, by order of the EU. 

Quite how they will police it if you buy a bale of barley straw from a farmer - for the chickens' nest-boxes, to make compost, put round the strawberries, to name just a few uses - I don't know.

Is there no end to EU meddling?

If you can get hold of a bale of barley straw, shove some straw in one leg of and old pair of tights with a brick and submerge in your pond.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Welshonion, do you know why it will be illegal?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Yes, because only products thaat have been tested will be allowed to be put on sale.  No company is willing to put barley straw through the testing procedure.

Oh Lordy, has the world gone mad?image

• wildgirl12wildgirl12 Posts: 7

I have been having problems with blanket weed! mud was washed into my pond by all that wet weather! I have used barley straw extract about 10 days ago, so far no change so I am using a cane to get some of it out and waiting for my water mind and penny royal to spread a bit, then I will put in a lilly aswell. Its important to make sure no soil can get washed into the pond as this excess nutrients will trigger blanket weed growth (as I found out!)

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

We tied an old fork to a bamboo cane and twist this round to pull out blanket weed.Just like eating spagetti!image

Wild G12 I believe barley straw takes a couple of weeks to work, but it is for algea as far as I understand and to AVOID blanket weed as Carl9102? said above.image

• Sue DSue D Posts: 1

The barley booms do work but you must put float material in them so that they are at the surface of the pond. 

What I want to know is the best plants to grow to provide shade and thus reduce the growth of the blanket weed. We have mainly water lilies so far but it is a big pond and so I want a variety of other plants too. Any suggestions? I would not dream of adding duck weed!!

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

I do use duck weed a lot to keep the balance right in the pond. It's really brilliant, and unless the pond is enormus it is very easy to control, you just fish out any excess with a net and dump it in the compost. Gold fish would get rid of any excess for you, in fact, they love the stuff.

Sometimes, if the pond is very green, I pick up a bucket of duck weed from a clear nice ditch nearby, and toss it in the pond and in a matter of days things begin to clear.