Forum home The potting shed

ID please if poss

Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

Hi me again Kate says is it a friend or foe please,the big leaf not the long one

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,034

Hogweed - tell Kate if the stems are reddish and slightly bristly with a groove along the upper surface then it's definitely hogweed - good food for pet rabbits and goats, but otherwise only for large wildlife gardens.  

It'll have a deep tap root so tell her to take the garden fork out there with her image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

Nice one matey out it comes soon as the rain gives us a chance that is. she has also found 3 lots of Comfry, she,s not too happy and im already smelling  that comfry tea,my buckets are ready and waiting,cheers for the info matey. (image,i wish ) 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,034

At least this rain is making the soil soft - I spent this morning grubbing dandelions out of the lawn - cheers! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,510

I have these hogweeds sometimes, they are so deep rooted I have now resorted to glyphosate, if you break the taproot they will grow again, only stronger.

I think it was this that I was strimming once in our churchyard, the next day I was a mass of sore itchy bumps on my arms and legs. Mind you, it was hot and I was strimming it in a dress!!.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

Not a problem Lyne i never strim in a dressimage

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Lyn

You may have been strimming Giant Hogweed - Heracleum mantegazzianum -  from the Caucasus. its sap is known to cause severe itching of eyes skin etc, if exposed to light. You need to ID what it is before strimming again.